Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Isabel Allende on giving

I recently came across this note from NPR. I am not a regular listener of NPR, but I do believe in the importance of public radio. At any rate, this comes from the program All Things Considered, where they had a small segment with Chilean author (and one of my favorite writers) Isabel Allende. It is one of the essays the program invites on the topic of "This I Believe." She wrote a small essay on the importance of giving to others and how giving to others connects her to others. I could not agree more. She writes towards the end of the essay:

"Give, give, give -- what is the point of having experience, knowledge or talent if I don't give it away? Of having stories if I don't tell them to others? Of having wealth if I don't share it? I don't intend to be cremated with any of it! It is in giving that I connect with others, with the world and with the divine."

You can find the text, and also a link to listen to her reading it at the link below. I know it reminded me of why I do what I do as an educator and now librarian. I know I thrive in teaching because it is giving to others. At any rate, go take a look.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4568464

No comments: