Monday, May 08, 2006

Booknote: Perspectives, Insights & Priorities

Title: Perspectives, Insights, & Priorities: 17 Leaders Speak Freely of Librarianship
Editor: Norman Horrocks
Publisher Information: Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2005
ISBN: 0-8108-5355-8
Genre: Nonfiction
Subgenre: Library science, librarianship, leadership
130 pages

This is probably one of the best books on the topic I have read so far. Professor Horrocks brings together 17 leaders of our profession to speak about librarianship. The list of names is pretty much a "who's who" of the profession with folks like John Berry III, Kathleen De La Peña McCook, Mary K. Chelton, and even Michael Gorman. Horrocks allow these professionals to write about any topic they wished. The result is a book full of ideas that reflect the diversity of our profession. I think this represents a good way for a librarian like me to hear these people speak about what they do best, for instance, Mary K. Chelton on youth services. The essays range from lectures to personal reminiscences to advice. The book is easy to read, and I think some readers may want to revisit an essay here and there for there is much food for thought here. In a way, it's like sitting and letting the sages speak. This is a book I recommend to any librarian.

2 comments:

M Taher said...

Hi
I came to your blog, looking for Prof. Norman Horrocks.

I have done a post on his great achievements

Thanks for the excellent booknote, which I cited now, in my above cited post.

You may also like to see my other blogs including, Reviews From My Desktop

Best wishes for you to get a tenure status.

A. Rivera said...

Well, thank you for stopping by. Good to hear you found the note useful. I did jump over and have a look. Will have to go back to keep looking. Best, and keep on blogging.