Monday, April 10, 2006

What if bloggers vanished?

From Boing Boing, a tale of what would happen if bloggers actually disappeared. The story is "Plumage from Pegasus" written by Paul DiFilippo. I read the story with a blend of amusement and wonder, but I also found myself speculating what if the various obstacles of spam, excessive regulation, viruses, and terrorism did bring down the Internet. Sure, go ahead and excuse spam as a form of capitalism, a form to make a living, but to this blogger at least who tries to do a little writing and sharing with a community, a spammer is pretty much the lowest lifeform, to put it mildly. They are just people out there ruining things for a lot of decent people. And don't even get me started on the virus makers. At any rate, an interesting read. I wonder what would I do if the Internet disappeared, and I could not blog anymore. Well, on a quick take, I would probably go back to the old journal with pen and paper. I probably would publish a zine if I wanted to publish for others. In other words, I would adapt. Now, whether others would read it, that would remain to be seen.

No comments: