Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Booknote: Star Wars: Dark Empire I

Title: Star Wars: Dark Empire I
Story by Tom Veitch, Art by Cam Kennedy
Publication Information: Milwaukie, OR: Dark Horse Comics, 2003
ISBN: 159307039X
Genre: Fiction/Graphic Novel
Subgenre: Fantasy/Adventure, Science Fiction

I picked this up from my local public library branch. This is the first of a trilogy that includes the volumes Dark Empire II and Empire's End. The story tells the tale of how Luke Skywalker falls to the dark side shortly after Darth Vader's death and the events presented in the film Return of the Jedi. Well, he falls, or seems to fall. The question is does he, or is it part of a larger plan? Fans of the series will definitely enjoy it. I found the story entertaining and engaging. The art itself was good, but it was not great. It seemed to vary in quality. Overall though, I still recommend this book, and I will probably seek out the other two volumes if I get the chance. As a note, while it is part of a trilogy, the first volume can certainly be read by itself.

No comments: