Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Gypsy Librarian Will Be At 2007 TLA



I will be heading tomorrow for San Antonio to attend the 2007 Texas Library Association Conference. I had a great time last year, and I learned a thing or two. I am hoping to have a great time this year, and maybe this may be the year I volunteer for something. Not sure, some things back in the old workplace are in a bit of flux right now. Anyways, digression aside, I got my directions and the confirmations all set. I will be taking the drive tomorrow along Interstate 10. Once I get out of the Houston area, which is pretty much a traffic mess, I should be ok. I think if I leave early enough, I can do some wandering. I will be posting my notes from the conference here, but I don't do live blogging (that's for the technogurus). This means I will be mostly offline for the next few days, which suits me fine.

I am hoping to catch some of the sights as well including The Alamo, and I know I have to stop at the Hard Rock Cafe at some point. I am especially looking forward to hearing Isabel Allende. My only wish that I won't get is that I would love my mother to be with me there as well. She is a big Allende fan for one, and two, she was the one who got me hooked on reading. One of my memories growing up was of mom always reading, especially a lot of Latin American literature: Isabel Allende, Mario Vargas Llosa, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, etc. Hopefully I can get mom an extra copy of Allende's book signed. I was going to read Portrait in Sepia, the book they are discussing at the conference, but my semester here has been so insanely busy that I just did not have the time. As soon as I read it, I will post a booknote about it.

So, to those of you traveling to TLA, may you have a safe and peaceful journey.

And, Mami, gracias por ayudarme a descubrir la lectura. (Mom, thanks for helping me discover reading).

No comments: