Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Brief note on Socratic teaching

Amy, at the Information Literacy Librarian, posted a small note on Socratic teaching here. I have always been one to believe in the method and the power of using good questions to guide student discovery. She lists a set of tips. One of them is having a good planned sequence of questions. I used that prompt to create the lesson plan I took with me to Immersion. I can be pretty good at planning, but I tend to get enthusiastic when I am in the classroom, which means I often leave the plan behind and teach "by ear." Experience allows for me to do that seamlessly. However, for some things, having a well-planned sequence works. For Immersion, I was using questions to guide to students to identify criteria for evaluating websites. For now, I am just adding this note as a reminder.

No comments: