Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's Christmas All Year, To me anyways (watching Polar Express on DVD helps)

This is just a quick note. The Collection Development Librarian brought me our new copy of The Polar Express to watch for verification (making sure it plays and works before processing it). I will say up front that I am not one for Christmas movies. I love the season, and I share the sense of wonder. The little bell definitely rings very loudly for me (if you watched the movie, you know what I mean. If not, go get it). However, when it comes to the films of the season, I pretty much hate the sentimentality, and in some cases, the plain stupidity (sorry, Christmas Story to me is probably the [insert choice epithets here] crock I have seen) in the majority of these films.

Having said all this, I am adding Polar Express to my list of favorite films. This I can definitely watch over and over. I found it to be a well made movie technically. It's amazing how they use computers to capture people so well. The soundtrack is great as well, a nice combination of classics and new (I do like Christmas music, so they got me there too). The movie went fast, which I guess is a good sign. I got lost in it. The two disc set we bought here includes the film on one disc and a variety of extras on the other (making of the movie, what most people expect, as well as a demo to a PC game and an online element). Overall, this is one film I would definitely recommend, and this coming from a guy who dislikes Christmas films (well, most of them. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas for one. The animated one, not the more recent one). Now that the person tasked with watching these new things is back, I am not sure how many more I will get to see, but hey, it was nice.

No comments: