Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Blog Day 2005: Some blogs you may want to look over

Happy ! Through Tame the Web, I found out about this event, and I decided to give five suggestions to readers. That blog led to the socialsoftwareblog which has a nice summary of the event. The idea behind this event is for bloggers around the world to recommend five new blogs. According to the BlogDay site, bloggers should preferably recommend blogs "different from their own culture, point of view and attitude." It seems like a good way to get out of the comfortable shell of the blogroll to find new places to visit. I could certainly recommend many blogs related to librarianship, and in fact, I will recommend some of those, but I will also go for some outside of librarianship. So, here go my five suggestions:

  • Tame the Web. Yes, I know, it's the place where I got the prompt. However, this blog always has a nice balance between informing about technology in libraries and writing in a thoughtful way about it.
  • Tales from the Liberry and Libraries for Dummies. Simple. Even librarians need to have some humor, and very often, the humor comes in the form of the patrons. Then again, some of the librarians and staff provide the humor as well. Both are great places to get a laugh and nod in agreement as you see things you often see at your own library. We can all use a good laugh now and then. These are two places I get mine.
  • The Phantom Professor writes about the life of the university adjunct. She can be humorous sometimes and moving other times, but overall it is always a well written and interesting blog. If you visit now, she is giving lessons on writing to anyone willing to learn.
  • The Education Wonks. I don't remember how I found this blog. I probably got to it from another link, liked it and added it to my Bloglines. All I know that this is the best place I have found for issues in public education. It always has a good variety of news and stories. Anyone interested in public education, not just teachers, should appreciate this blog. Teachers out there, it should be on your blogroll.

No comments: