Friday, July 29, 2005

If you use e-mail, are you "old"?

Through the Library Voice blog, a link to the report from the Pew Internet and American LIfe Prjoect about Teens and Technology. The highlight is that according to teens, e-mail is something you use to talk to "old" people. The report states that "teens who participated in focus groups for this study said they view e-mail as something you use to talk to 'old' people, institutions, or to send complex instructions to large groups." Instant messaging is the preferred form for casual communications. In a way, it reaffirms some of the things I knew from experience as an educator who works with young people, but man, "old" people? That is a bit harsh. Then again, younger people can be harsh. That is just life. On her signature line for her e-mail, my director does note that e-mail communication is preferred. She uses e-mail a lot (gets a lot of stuff done on it too), then again, so do most of my colleagues and me. Are we going to feel a sudden chill of age? I know I am not, but just in case, I am firing up my IM more often. Readers can go to the Pew site on the link to the report, then get the actual text of the report in a PDF document.

Update note (at 5:50pm): If you need a little more help in defining what or who is "old," you may not get it here. What you will find is a survey by the MetLife Mature Market Institute that took a survey asking "How old is old?" Just something that may be interesting. It seems it depends on who you ask. All I know is someone once said at one point you are as old as you think you are. I think it is something about staying young at heart. I got the survey link through DocuTicker, a great little resource for government agencies, NGOs and other items.

No comments: