Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Can I or should I blog that?

I have not blogged here for a while. Life has trumped my blogging, as the saying goes. We have had a lot of things going on, some which I can blog about here, and others which I have to pretty much keep in my private journal. One of the things going on is the hiring of two (maybe three) reference librarians (entry level). This is not because my campus is suddenly flush with money. It has to do with accreditation issues, and I will leave it at that for the moment; it's one of those "it's a long story" moments, and I honestly don't feel like going over it now. Having said that, I have been learning some things both from the process and from the candidates that visited us so far.

The point for now is that I am having one of those moments where a blogger wonders what is safe to blog or not. On the one hand, I have been learning some valuable lessons in the last two weeks or so. On the other hand, some of those lessons are closely tied to certain local campus politics, some of which I do find distasteful (to put it politely), and therefore would probably not be safe topics to share. Oh, catch me at some bar with some drinks, and I will be happy to tell. But in this more formal space, I don't think so. I am still reflecting and digesting a lot of what I have learned. Sometimes you have to do that: stop and actually just give yourself some time to think and catch your breath, then write about it to finally lay out the thoughts and thus put in place the learning foundation. I have been writing a bit more privately, so it's not that I have not written. It's just that I am struggling a bit with the boundary line for blogging given that blogging is a more public act.

In the meantime, what else am I pondering?
  • Well, I do have some articles I have read. I just need to find the time.
  • I have been mostly keeping my notes about books read over in the GoodReads website (link on the right column of blog). While I like the site, and I will continue, I would like to get back to writing a bit more extensively about some books in the blogs, which in addition to allow me to reflect a bit more, would likely make what I write about those books easier to share with others. After all, the blogs are really my central location, so to speak.
  • I am working on a Facebook page for our library. It is mostly done, but I need to add some photos and tweak it a bit more. This is just one of the many projects I am working on. I will tell folks this much: I have decent work security because the work never ends.
  • I have a few items "starred" in my Google Reader for responses or reflections. If the time appears, or rather, I force myself to make some time, I should have some things to blog about in time.
By the way, the above would be stuff for my professional blog here. The personal one at The Itinerant Librarian is more of a free for all (but still within reason). So this post is sort of a "I am still here" and a sort of trying to figure out how much I can blog about certain topics. For the second part of that, I guess every blogger once in a while has to revisit that question and then find his comfort level again, or recalibrate it. Yea, I like that. I am doing a little recalibration on my blogging's comfort level. I will let my two readers know when we are back on track.

No comments: