Friday, October 12, 2007

Short Booknotes on Graphic Novels 15

These two I borrowed from my local branch of the public library back in Houston (HCPL for those who may wonder). I still buy a good amount of books, especially graphic novels since the library selection is limited. I have come to find that the selection here in Tyler is pretty abysmal when it comes to graphic novels, so I may be using ILL a bit more now and then to supplement the ones I do buy. At any rate, this draft had been sitting for a while, and I figure it was time to go ahead and post it. Overall, I think I may start making a small note on where I got the books from for my booknotes.


Hirano, Kohta. Hellsing Vol. 4. Milwaukie, OR: Dark Horse Manga: 2001. ISBN: 1-59307-259-7.


The fourth volume in this manga horror series continues with fast paced action. When a group of Nazi exiles in South America has found a way to raise an army of vampires, it seems old enemies have to unite. England's Hellsing Organization and the Vatican's Section XIII, sworn enemies, may have to come together to fight an even greater threat as a new Nazi leader threatens to launch a new world war with an apparently unstoppable army. Like its predecessors, the action grips you from the first page and then goes on.


Sfar, Joann. Vampire Loves. New York: First Second, 2006. ISBN: 1-59643-093-1.


This is a compilation of stories featuring Ferdinand the vampire. He bites with one fang, so it looks like a mosquito bite. He also has a lot of trouble with his love relationships. Yet, for an undead, he is quite charming and kind at times. This book combines a blend of humor and warmth at times along with some mysticism and folk wisdom along the way. Very entertaining.

No comments: