Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Transitions and changes

I looked at the last date I posted (before posting for Blog Day, that is), and I realized it has been almost a month since my last post here. A few things have been going on in life and work that have kept me away. I figured it would also be a good time to take some time off from the blogging here. However, a little time away turned into a little more time away. Then it turned to "I'll get to it later." Then it became "well, that idea is not that good." Then it became "man, I've been gone for a while now, maybe I should get back into things, but I haven't posted." You get the idea. A little time off is a good thing. Too much time off, and you start losing your edge and drive. For a moment, I had thoughts along the lines of "do I go on? Do I drop it? Maybe try something new?" In a way it all connected to what was going on outside the blogosphere for me.

So, what has been going on? Well, the main thing is that I am taking a new job. I can say it now because I have accepted an offer, and I have turned in my notice at my current workplace. To get the new job, I had to interview. When you are in the market, it takes a good amount of effort to get that new job. From traveling to preparations, it is work. So, with that on my mind, blogging was not a high priority, if at all. Life happened. All I will say is that I got to the finalist stage in a few places, and that when it came to it, I had a couple of offers to choose from.

My two readers may wonder why am I leaving? Well, there are a number of reasons. Some are personal such as wanting to eliminate a hideous 1.5-2 hours commute to work practically every day (and that is one way, and it has only gotten worse in the three years I have lived here in Houston). Eliminating that commute also means things can be a bit easier in terms of picking up the little one. A big reason (ok, the main reason) that we had to get cellphones was so the missus and I could get a hold of each other in terms of picking up our daughter. Those who know Houston know that all it takes is a small wrench in the traffic system to leave you stranded for hours (and if you are stranded on the HOV lane, may the deity of your choice have mercy on you). Yes, hard to believe, but we lived happily without cellphones. A part of me will always resent Houston for making us get one.

Other reasons for leaving are professional; in that regard, seeking some professional growth is one reason. For me, it's time to move on and try out new things. My new position will involve outreach work. I will still participate in instruction and reference, but I have a new focus now. It's a new opportunity to try out new things and gain new experiences. There are some other reasons, but as the line goes, "that's my story, and I am sticking to it."

However, just because I gave notice, it does not follow that work stops. It does not stop until I actually walk out on the last day. Therefore, I am still active at the reference desk. I am still coordinating instruction, and I already taught my first class for this fall semester. I will be teaching a few more sessions before I leave. I have been involved in some campus activities to welcome students to the campus for the fall. And I am still preparing some materials orders as part of my collection development duties. Plus there are a couple of details I have to take care of to provide a transition. It keeps me busy as I move in my transition. Posting here may get sporadic, and I will likely be offline for a week or so (moving, setting up the new utilities, etc.), but when I get back, it will be for the better.

6 comments:

Meredith Farkas said...

Wow! Congratulations! Best of luck in making the transition to what I hope is a challenging and fulfilling position. :)

waltc said...

First, congratulations. And what Meredith said. ("What Meredith said" is frequently a safe bet...)

Second, speaking for my wife and myself, no, it isn't hard to believe that you could leave fulfilling lives without cell phones. Not a bit.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, brother! And what Meredith and Walt said.... ;)

Looking forward to hearing more.

And I just proved that you have more than 2 readers. Hehehe. (Of course, Bloglines reports a whole lot more than 3, btw.)

Anonymous said...

Well done Angel. A job search can sometimes be like working another shift outside of paid work. I'm glad it worked out for you - two job offers, very nice :)

Liz said...

Congratulations! I hope the new position is good for you professionally and I understand needing to get rid of a long commute.

A. Rivera said...

Thanks all for stopping by and the good wishes. I shall be writing about the new adventures in time. In the meantime, best, and keep on blogging.