Monday, May 07, 2007

Booknote: Centers for Learning

Elmborg, James K. and Sheril Hook eds. Centers for Learning: Writing Centers and Libraries in Collaboration. Chicago: ALA, 2005. ISBN: 0838983359

Genre: Nonfiction
Genre: Library science, librarianship, pedagogy

In brief, the book is a collection of essays advocating collaboration between writing centers and libraries. Given that I was a composition teacher in a previous life, I can certainly see common elements between the two services. The fact that at times I actually do look over parts of papers puts me somewhere in the fence. The editors open the book with an essay that provides the theory and context for the collaboration. The rest of the book then has various essays with examples of collaboration for readers to learn from. This topic is something I have been thinking about in and out since I became a librarian due to my background as a teacher. I think we could be doing a lot more in this regard. Anyways, this book makes good reading for anyone interested in the topic as well as the larger topics of information literacy and student success on campus.

2 comments:

Claudia T said...

Why did you give it only two stars?

A. Rivera said...

Claudia: Had to go back and remind myself back on GoodReads. Probably because the book was not terribly engaging and a bit dense, which tends to be a problem with LIS books overall. The two stars indicate the book was "ok," but nothing to get too excited about. At least for me.

Best, and keep on blogging.