Friday, November 03, 2006

Booknote: Old Man's War

Title: Old Man's War
Author: John Scalzi
Publication Information: New York: Tom Doherty, 2005
ISBN: 0-765-31524-6
Genre: Fiction
Subgenre: Science fiction, military scifi.


This is one of the best military sf books I have read in a while. Most of the reviews I have read compare Scalzi to Heinlein, and I have to agree that reading this book at times does feel like reading a Heinlein book. The only difference is there is less sermonizing and more action. The main character, John Perry, enlists in the Colonial Defense Forces when he turns 75. He is a recent widower with nothing to lose. The CDF does not want young people for its army. It wants old people who bring a lifetime of experience and skills. Perry brings that as well as a good common sense. To me, he was a bit reminiscent of Lazarus Long, just not as picaresque. The price of his enlistment is that he will never be allowed to return to Earth. If he survives for two years, he has the option of getting a homestead and a new start on one of the colonies. The book has a good blend of humor and adventure. The enemies he faces are diverse and interesting. Needless to say, the enemies are the fiercest and hardest he will ever face. Then there's the whole thing about the Ghost Brigades, but I will let readers find out about that. By the way, Ghost Brigade is the title of the sequel. The novel leaves the reader wondering about certain things, so I am hoping to discover more as I read on. Based on this novel, I will definitely be looking for the new book. This novel was pretty fast paced and an easy read.

For readers who may be a bit sensitive, there are some brief sex references. However, for readers looking for a good adventure, this is a good selection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that I have found a kidred spirit. We have the same layout, our display names are very similar and I hope to someday be an academic librarian. I am currently a technical processor in the Metropolitan Library System in Oklahoma City. Very nice to meet you.

A. Rivera said...

Thank you for stopping by, folklorist. Best of luck as you continue on the quest to that librarian position. Maybe the person with the cat'o nine tails will cut you some slack. Yes, I know, wishful thinking, but one can always hope. I did look over your blog, and will have to stop back to read. Best, and keep on blogging.