Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Booknote: Marvel Secret Wars

Title: Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars
Author: Jim Shooter
Publication Information: New York: Marvel, 2005
ISBN: 0-7851-1873-X
Genre: Fiction
Subgenre: Comics, adventure, science fiction

This is a compilation of the series Secret Wars that Marvel launched in 1984 for 12 issues. At the time, the crossover series was designed to complement a new toy marketing campaign. The toys were not successful, but the series proved to be one of the most popular for Marvel. This edition collects the 12 issues in color. The plot is fairly basic. The Beyonder, an entity of great power, brings together a group of superheroes and villains to fight in a planet known as Battleworld. I will admit that I have vague memories of this series; I was a teen when it came out, but I was not a big comics reader then. However, I found myself enjoying this series. It is good superhero fun; that's the best way I can describe it. It is a self-contained story, so readers don't need to have read other comics to enjoy. Fans will likely enjoy it as well. It turns out that the series spawned two sequels, but as far as I know, these have not been reprinted. The edition I have read is the trade paperback edition. It is priced new at about $30.00, which I thought was kind of steep, but it does seem consistent with similar volumes. I got my copy second hand, so got a break. I do think this would make a good addition to public libraries with graphic novel and comics collections. A good series for readers like me who enjoy these classic works as well as for new readers wanting a glimpse at the roots of heroes they know today. Even without these reasons, it makes for good entertainment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

plus it has the 1st apperance of spidermans black costume, which makes it somewhat historical.